herd navigator

Discussieer hier over alles wat te maken heeft met melkproductie.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: herd navigator

Berichtdoor Flyinghollander » di okt 25, 2016 19:09

But isn't it cheaper for you to keep the cows in the winter in a simple barn and produce just on grass?
So your cost stay low, now it looks you will start to make your cost higher and if milk will go in powder you never get the high price for it.
Flyinghollander

Berichtdoor Grassman » di okt 25, 2016 20:27

But there is not really any difference between a low cost barn and a high cost, most are all high cost now because of welfare standards. You will need mats or matresses, etc. In the Republic of Ireland there answer to low cost housing is a barn with no roof. But when you factor in the cost of the extra slurry storage because of rain water it doesn't work out that cheap. I farm in the north of the country were winters are long and wet so good housing is essential. I graze my cows out in summer because I am on good land but many choose to keep them indoors at night or indoors all the time because of the constant wet weather. Typically we are getting 1500mm of rain /year and each year it seems to get wetter and wetter. Some co-ops now trying to introduce fixed price contracts to give more stability to dairy farmers which I think is a good idea.
Grassman

Berichtdoor Flyinghollander » di okt 25, 2016 21:46

Of Course it depends a lot on the rules and social pressure how to build and to do things.
Flyinghollander

Berichtdoor Hookwood Holsteins » wo okt 26, 2016 07:33

Grassman schreef:So I was recently out in Holland to view some milking parlours and I saw some nice setups but you guys get into big big debt!

Well not all of us of course and I think that some of the farmers with the big debts wished that they had made their plans a little smaller.....
Hookwood Holsteins

Berichtdoor Robert » wo okt 26, 2016 08:18

1500 mm a year, we don't get half of it in Holland.I'm not jealous

There will be some used milking palours in the future i guess. Not only in Holland but also in the UK.
Quite a few farmers with 200 - 300 cows in the UK stopped last years.

And your right. In the UK the average dept per cow is about 3500. In Holland it is 7.000 till 10.000.
Robert

Beroep: 't zou wat moeten zijn
Interesses: dezelfde als van de loopvogel

Re: herd navigator.

Berichtdoor Grassman » wo okt 26, 2016 19:37

Yes quite a lot of farmers stopped milking cows in England recently but a lot of them are tenant farms ie the queen or someone wealthy actually owns the land the farmer (tenant) in some cases don't have family members coming on behind them to take over so many continue to milk cows when the price is good and sell the cows when the price is bad. I own 95% of the land I farm so I want to remain in dairying.

There are some good bargains around in the 2nd hand market with milking parlours but I'd much prefer a new setup. With new technology I'm future proofing the system. Like for example herd navigator, I can't fit it with the older MPC 1's.
I don't want to spend anymore than I have to but take an arable farmer for example who will spend £200,000 on a new claas lexion and it will be parked in the shed for most of the year. A milking parlour will harvest my milk twice a day , everyday, for 20-30 years, so it's money well spent in my own opinion.
Grassman

Berichtdoor Flyinghollander » do okt 27, 2016 06:09

What I remember the Herd navigator is only for lease and for every test you pay a additional price.
So if you have a good control then the price is ok, if you want to check a lot, cost go sky-high.

In the figure with the combine you in a certain why right, but you should count all cost, how fast does it pay of.

We have a bought for example a milking parlor with only take off and 1 year spare parts and extra vacuum engine for under 90k
The offer for the same parlor from other brand with a few small extra's on it, had cost us 200k more, that's a lot of money I need to earn back in 5 years.

Same for now, we are looking for heat device's, cost from 80-160 euro range, again 5 years it's 17-32 euro a cow and then count again cost a day later preg etc.
Flyinghollander

Berichtdoor melker » do okt 27, 2016 13:18

Around here are some farmers milking with robots working with the herd navigator, most of them are very pleased with the system, allthough very expensive but gives jou a lot of data.
melker

Beroep: BOER
Interesses: alles

Vorige

Keer terug naar Koe en melken